Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Look Ahead

To all 2 of you who read my blog, i'm back :)

Since I last wrote, I've finished up basic pathophysiology of a few more organ systems (let me know if you want to know how to do a digital rectal exam), taken a few more tests, crammed for a cumulative exam that determines whether I can go onto clinical rotations or not, and generally enjoyed learning medicine.

On a personal note, I've been hanging out with 2 and 3 yr olds on sunday mornings, which has been tiring, humbling, and fun. They remind me how little plasticity my mind has, and that's been pretty depressing. I've also gone on a retreat, learned some things about faith, and read a few good books, seen some family.

Importantly, I've missed writing (don't worry though, I've got something big cookin' and I promise I will unveil it when the time is right) and I'm enjoying the down time and the freedom to just sit and write when I want to. I promise to write more, but for now, here's a short peek into my next few months, for all of you I've accidentally (or not) neglected.

Now - 12.25.09 - Houston
I will be in town tying up some loose ends, writing, reading (let me know if you want a good book suggestion), working out, and generally reflecting on Christmas without trees and stockings. Scintillating, I know.

12.26.09 - 01.01.10 - St. Louis
Going to STL for a few days to hear about all the different things God's got going on in the world. I still don't quite know how I feel about all of it, especially because I hear that it's a lot to take in. We'll see. I'm going to try to make a vlog about the trip to give me some perspective so keep an eye out for that. I'm also thinking about running under the arch in STL - the only thing that is noteworthy in STL, from what I've heard so far - but I'm scared I will freeze my butt off. Maybe I'll coerce someone into doing it with me.

01.02.10 - 01.03.10 - Houston
Recovering, watching Texas lose to Bama in the title game, getting my "student-doctor" game face on

01.04.010 - End of February - Texas Children's Hospital, Ben Taub General Hospital
Starting my first clinical rotation (!) in pediatrics. I will get a chance to see the coolest, and perhaps most annoying, sides of kids. But I am pumped to get out of the classroom and wear my far-too-short white coat and walk around with instruments I don't know how to use yet. And I'm still keeping on open mind about what I go into, so we'll see.

I'll cook up something semi-interesting to post before I jet for STL. Until then, I hope this entry finds ya'll well.


No comments:

Post a Comment