Thursday, September 17, 2009

Home Grown

I recently went to Seattle to visit a friend, and I discovered that a good number of people grow their own vegetables in their yards/on their balconies. It's probably not enough to sustain most people, granted; its more a supplemental source of food.

But it got me thinking (and excited) about what I could grow on my balcony back in Houston. I did a little digging, and turns out that this horrendous Houston weather is - despite being so bad for so many reasons - good for something: growing vegetables, including my favorite, tomatoes. The humidity and sun make the environment great.

Roughly, here are the steps I need to take to get this done:

* decide if I will buy the feeder/bins for the plants, or if I'll build my own
* finalize the list of things I want to grow
* get smart about how to take care of those vegetables

I am open to ideas, or help, or even co-gardens if some of you want to "invest" a few dollars and share in the "profit."

More on this later.

2 comments: